Subnautica Multiplayer Mod: How to install Nitrox
Modders brought multiplayer to Subnautica. Here’s how to get it.
Is Subnautica multiplayer? With the help of a free Mod called “Nitrox“, yes! Keep reading and learn how to install the Subnautica Multiplayer Mod in 2020. As previously covered, the mod is regularly updated to always be compatible with the latest version of the game.
How to install the Nitrox Mod for Subnautica
Firstly, you need to make sure you have the following: clean install of Subnautica and own the game on either Steam or Epic Games.
If you get stuck, make sure to check out the helpful install wizard, that will guide your through each step.
Step 1: Download the Nitrox Mod
- Visit the Nitrox Download Website
- Press the large “Start Download” button
- Drag the downloaded file to your desktop
- Right click the downloaded file, and select “Extract All …”
- Open the newly created folder
Step 2: Launch the Multiplayer Mod
- Open the Nitrox Launcher
- When prompted by Windows, press “Allow”
- Head over to the “Options” tab to double check your installation. It should automatically detect your game.
Step 3: Play Subnautica Multiplayer
- Go to “Play game” tab in the Nitrox Launcher and press the blue “Multiplayer” button.
- This should open Subnautica with Multiplayer Enabled.
- Press the Multiplayer button, and enter the IP address of the server you want to join
How to host a Nitrox Server?
If you want to host a Nitrox Server, instead of joining one follow these steps. Please keep in mind this part of the tutorial is more advanced, and if you do not know what you are doing I recommend you to join the Nitrox Discord Server and find a server to play on in the #looking-for-group channel!
Step 1: Port forward or use VPN
Here you need to first decide if you can, or want to port forward. Otherwise you will need to use a VPN service, such as the popular choice Hamachi.
Step 2: Host a new Subnautica Server
- Go to the “Server” tab in the Nitrox Launcher
- Press “Start Server” and you should see a console open
- If prompted, make sure to allow network access
Step 3: Share your IP
- Copy your IPv4 address and share it with anyone you would like to play with
- Join your own server, by entering your localhost IP 127.0.0.1